Thursday, November 5, 2015

Spicy Vegetable Noodle Soup

So, I hate soup. I absolutely despise it. It could be absolutely frigid outside, or I could have a horrible cold and I would rather stay hungry than eat (drink?) a bowl of soup. I just don't see how its filling, or a meal. It's a liquid! Liquids don't fill. Solid's fill. So I took a shot and tried to make something that would make me at least not hate soup as much as I do. Although this bowl of spicy broth and soft noodles was delicious - I still hate soup. But hey! I tried.
found at any supermarket!

1 small crown broccoli
3-4 spring onions (scallions)
1 cup peas
2 cloves garlic
10 baby carrots / 2 regular sized carrots
Chinese noodles (or thin pasta if you can't find Chinese noodles)
24 oz vegetable broth (a little more than half the box)
8 cups noodle cooking liquid
5 tablespoons sriracha sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
3 tablespoons plum sauce

Since you can leave this to cook low and slow, I recommend cutting all your vegetables first instead of doing it while things are cooking. I cut my broccoli pretty small, trying to match sizes with the rest of the vegetables. My carrots were probably a 1/2 inch thick and same with my scallions.

In a large pot, I started boiling my water for the noodles. You can find it at any supermarket, you don't need to go to to any specific store for it. Just treat it as if its pasta - a little salt, a little oil and let it boil. I would advise only cooking the noodles a little more than halfway (4 minutes) so that the rest of the cooking can happen within the broth and vegetables.

In another large pot, add in your vegetable broth. Crack your garlic gloves, meaning lay them flat on your cutting board and with the flat part of your knife just press down so that they crack and are basically smushed. Throw those in, whole. This is a great time for your grated ginger too. Add in your carrots (they take the longest to soften) and then the broccoli about 2 minutes later. Keep an eye on your noodles and keep checking for how cooked they are - remember you DO NOT want to cook them completely yet.

Into your vegetable broth goes your sauces. Give everything a good stir, so your vegetables are mixing around with the broth and the sauces are mixing up among everything as well. Your noodles are probably ready to go now, so give them a check. And by ready to go I mean halfway cooked! Add the noodles into your broth liquid pot, and ladle in about half the pot of noodle cooking liquid. This will help not only flavor the soup, but also thicken it up from the starches of the noodles.

Just let the pot that you've added everything too - simmer. Keep it on a low to medium heat, no need to wait too long - probably 10 minutes at max because then you'll start overcooking your noodles into mush.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment